Sunday, January 9, 2011

Children Of The Sea

As a class, we started to read Children Of The Sea and we were to finish it on our own. In the beginning of the story, I thought the story was going to be boring. However it turned out to be really interesting. The story was based on two characters. Both of them write journals about what they have experienced. Because I'm a journal writer myself, I was able to really connect with this story. In the story, the boy was on a ship to Haiti and the girl is at home. Almost everyday the girl has to face home invasions from the military. Because of all the chaos, her family is very disorganized and unhappy. They wait for gas to be on sale so they can drive to a safe place. While all of this is happening to the girl, the boy has to deal with hunger and the possibility of  the ship sinking. He even gets to see a woman give birth. While all of this is going on, he has to think about life or death. Life is so treacherous on board that death isn't the worst idea. Death in this story is portrayed as a sacrifice to god, not a stupid mistake like we think of it now. What made the story even more interesting was boy's ship sunk and we're left with thinking that he's dead.

Overall this story was confusing at the beginning, but as I continued to read, it became clear. I really like how the author didn't hold anything back. He didn't try to make the situation worse/good. He left it to the reader to decided how they should feel. Like he didn't try to make the situation seem more sad than it really was. When I was reading the Boy parts, I imagined myself as one of the riders on the ship. The story was very touching and interesting. I would love to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment